Start a new topic
Answered

Shape Files (Turning specific files on or off)

Hello,

I have made a few shape files that consist of;  (1)multiple blocks or (2) multiple strips to implement different fuels treatments in. I can not separate the two shape files (turn the layers on a off independently); therefore, they overlap each other. Is there a way to turn individual shape files on and off separately? In the layers list I only see a way to turn all shape files on and off together, which is not desirable.

Best Answer

In the time since this question was originally answered, developers have added the ability to display shapes individually in Map studio by adding them in the "My Layers" tab of the Add Layers widget, making it easy to turn individual shapes on or off from the Layer List.

Answer

In the time since this question was originally answered, developers have added the ability to display shapes individually in Map studio by adding them in the "My Layers" tab of the Add Layers widget, making it easy to turn individual shapes on or off from the Layer List.

Hey Gabe

I think Josh is on the right track with his illustration on your issue... hopefully that answers your question and allows you to do what you would like for your project.

I wanted to add that in our next release that will happen in about 2 weeks (Week of Feb. 20th), there will be brand new Shapefile functionality that will be much improved over what you are using now. You will be able to upload multi-part shapefiles and then within IFTDSS select and save individual parts that can be used however you would like - Area of Interest, Mask etc. I think you will find it much easier and will alleviate some of the problems you have having today. 

Also we will be adding the ability to download the Landscapes (LCPs) as GeoTiffs and the fire behavior outputs as rasters to be used outside of IFTDSS. 

We are hopefully these and several other improvements will make the use of IFTDSS much more streamlined. Please keep sending feedback, asking questions and providing suggestions... we really do appreciate it. 

So hang in there for a couple more weeks and then let us know what you think!

-Kim

IFTDSS Team

You're welcome Gabe. Perhaps I misread what you are looking to do,so I'll summarize here and you can let  me know if I'm mistaken: 

I was reading your post as a need to create groups of treatments from individual shapes, along the lines of the mock-up image attached. "Filter" would just be used to show or hide certain shapes while your in Map Studio. "Create/Edit Shapes" would do the actual copying of individual shapes into groups. When you go to make edits, both the individual shapes, and the groups would be available for use as masks.

When Editing, IFTDSS makes copies your landscape, so you both retain your original as well as having a newly edited one available. You can also start with previously edited landscapes and edit further. For example, if you wanted to edit a landscape with two different treatment groups, you'd make your edits with one group. Then select that newly edited landscape and begin editing to represent your second group.

Feel free to follow up if I'm oversimplifying or not understanding what you're looking to produce, and we can take another look.

2_7_18_JH.png
(1000 KB)

Thanks Josh,

So, as i understand it, I need to add the individual groups one at a time, mask that layer and perform edit rules i need for that shape, then delete and load the next and repeat.  One issue i'm having is that once i make a new lcp or model run, i can't delete that layer anymore without deleting the lcps and fire behavior runs too (which i don't want to lose).  

Or, do you mean that when you filter in the map, that filter applies to the mask as well?  So I would simply change the filter, run the mask for that group, then repeat?

GD  

Hi Gabe, 

Currently, only a single selection can be chosen from the Landscape Mask drop-down menu in the editing interface so to do what you describe you can create the treatment group in Map Studio, then select that group as your mask for your editing session, and repeat as needed for additional treatment groups.

At the very bottom of this page linked below, there is a drop-down called "Save multiple polygons", it will walk you through the steps of saving a group of shapes that you can use as a treatment group:

https://iftdss.firenet.gov/firenetHelp/help/pageHelp/content/10-mapstudio/files/shapefilesaving.htm?Highlight=save%20multiple  

Note that if you have many shapes all clustered together, it may be easier to filter out the specific ones for the group you need using the Filter tool as described above. 

I have several different unit prescription categories so am attempting to load several different shape files that need to be kept separate in building my action alternatives.  i'll need to mask certain groups of units separately from others to apply different edit rules to each (to reflect each group's different prescription).  I get how you can filter them as you describe above to make them appear alone on the map.  But can i mask them separately as well when applying edit rules for building a new lcp?  Or are they all grouped together in a single mask?   

To clarify, it is not letting you filter out the larger polygon so you can select and save your uploaded shapefiles?

I have a similar situation, in that I have multiple shape files within a larger polygon.  I filter the larger polygon and try to upload and save the smaller interior shapes but it always grabs the larger polygon and I can not save the smaller shapes within the larger one.  If that makes sense

Good question! Yes there is a way to do this. Our help topic on it is being updated and won't be online for a day or so, so I've include the instructions and screen captures below:

In areas where multiple polygons exist, you may apply a filter to show only the ones you are interested in and hide the others.   

To do this, use the 'Filter' button in the top right of 'Map Studio', and select 'Edit Filter'

'Edit Filter' will show fields that allow you to select only shapefiles that are stored in specific folders, have specific words in their name, or have specific names. When you have filtered to show only the shapefiles you want, select, 'Apply Filter'. Note that this filter can be turned off again at any time by selecting the 'Filter' button at the top of the map again, and choosing the 'Remove Filter' option that appears whenever a filter is being used. 

A helpful feature in 'Edit Filter' is the 'Select' option to the right of the filter list, circled in the image below below. If you created a filter and still have a long list, you may click the 'Select' button which will then allow you toggle specific shape files on and off by checking them. When ready, select 'Apply Filter' to sow only these selections.

Login or Signup to post a comment