Start a new topic
Answered

Ecosystem function HVRA documentation

Hi! I hope this forum is still active.

Is there documentation of how the Ecosystem Function HVRA was created? I see this: 

"Ecosystem Function represents the broad ecology of vegetation types and the role of fire in ecosystems. Ecosystem Function was derived from LANDFIRE Biophysical Settings (BpS, LANDFIRE 2014) data. The the 1,754 BpS units were condensed into into 84 groupings based on ecological setting, historic fire frequency, and general fire ecology. Those 84 groups were further lumped into 12 groups based on presumed first-order fire effects represented by specific response functions. Areas not mapped are non-burnable, sparsely vegetated, or represented by BpS units with a neutral response to fire or BpS units that burn extremely infrequently."

But I'm specifically looking for some documentation on which BpS units were condensed into the 84 groupings, how they were lumped into the 12 groups, and then how response values were chosen. I'm looking to refine / modify these but would like to see how they were originally created! Thanks so much!

Best Answer

Thanks for your question Julia and for your quick response Greg! 

We have now updated our Ecosystem Function HVRA Help Center Topic with a reference that addresses this question. 

For those readers with the same question, you may also find the documentation that addresses this on the USDA Fire Lab's National Wildfire Risk Assessment page and clicking the Supplemental Files for Ecosystem Function HRVA listing under "Downloads and User Guides".

Josh

IFTDSS Support Team

Answer

Thanks for your question Julia and for your quick response Greg! 

We have now updated our Ecosystem Function HVRA Help Center Topic with a reference that addresses this question. 

For those readers with the same question, you may also find the documentation that addresses this on the USDA Fire Lab's National Wildfire Risk Assessment page and clicking the Supplemental Files for Ecosystem Function HRVA listing under "Downloads and User Guides".

Josh

IFTDSS Support Team

Thanks Josh! I appreciate the detailed followup and look forward to hearing from you further.

Hi Julie,

It was suggested today that we contact Greg Dillon to follow up on this topic. I'll send an email cc'ing you shortly. Thank you for bringing this question up. Once we have more details we'll update our Help Center with it to make the details easier to locate in the future.

Josh

IFTDSS Support Team

1 person likes this

Hi Julie,

I took a look at the Ecosystem Function page in the Help Center where that quote came from to refresh my memory. The resource "Dillion in press" was released in July so I need to update the link. HVRAs is covered briefly there (https://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs_series/rmrs/proc/rmrs_p078.pdf pg. 253), but not in the detail that you're looking for.

Monday I will ask around the team to see if they have another suggestion on locating details regarding the BpS grouping for that HVRA. I'll post on here if one of them doesn't beat me to it.

Josh

IFTDSS Support Team

Login or Signup to post a comment