Start a new topic
Answered

Ignition points for the burn probability layer

Hello,

First time on the forum (howdy!) and I want to take a moment to thank you all for such an awesome product. I'm excited about using it to help communities and organizations use the system to prioritize their projects.

My question today has to do with ignition points for the burn probability layer. I understand that we can't upload our own ignition points, but is there a way to have more control over that input? I'm thinking of some sort of work around to the current limitation.

Thanks,

Esther

Best Answer

Hi Esther,

Thanks for the question.  I think what you are asking is if there is a way to use an ignition density grid.  This allows for some control over where fires occur based on defining spatially where more should occur.  For example, ridgetops for lightning or roadside for human caused starts.  Unfortunately the model we use in IFTDSS, which is based on FlamMap 6, Minimum Travel Time (using random ignitions) doesn't include the ability to use such a file. 

Or you might be asking if you can upload and use a file with your specific ignitions. This is a feature that is available in FlamMap 6; the file is called a Fire Size List.  But we opted to not allow this in IFTDSS, we feel that the random nature of the ignitions and making it so 98% of the burnable landscape burns meets the intent of the use of the model in IFTDSS and for the use with the Exposure Analysis and Risk Assessments as well. However, if enough users find this is a necessary feature to add to IFTDSS we are open to adding it as an enhancement in the future.

You can reuse ignitions for subsequent model runs using landscapes from the same footprint. First you would run the model with random ignitions (the default).  Then either copy that run, or select the 'Use Ignitions from a Completed' run option in the 'Ignitions' section of the inputs in the Playground for a new run. 

Nicole

Hi Esther,

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for the positive feedback on IFTDSS, we’re happy to hear that the product is proving useful.

Regarding your question on Landscape Burn Probability in IFTDSS, there is not a way to influence the random ignition input for that model. I'll let our Risk modeling expert, Nicole, follow up on here to explain why that is the case. There is a reason behind it, but she has a much deeper understanding of why, and is far better at explaining it than I.

There is some information on the LBP Ignitions Input topic, but I don't really think that answers the specific question you're asking.

Josh

IFTDSS Support Team

1 person likes this
Answer

Hi Esther,

Thanks for the question.  I think what you are asking is if there is a way to use an ignition density grid.  This allows for some control over where fires occur based on defining spatially where more should occur.  For example, ridgetops for lightning or roadside for human caused starts.  Unfortunately the model we use in IFTDSS, which is based on FlamMap 6, Minimum Travel Time (using random ignitions) doesn't include the ability to use such a file. 

Or you might be asking if you can upload and use a file with your specific ignitions. This is a feature that is available in FlamMap 6; the file is called a Fire Size List.  But we opted to not allow this in IFTDSS, we feel that the random nature of the ignitions and making it so 98% of the burnable landscape burns meets the intent of the use of the model in IFTDSS and for the use with the Exposure Analysis and Risk Assessments as well. However, if enough users find this is a necessary feature to add to IFTDSS we are open to adding it as an enhancement in the future.

You can reuse ignitions for subsequent model runs using landscapes from the same footprint. First you would run the model with random ignitions (the default).  Then either copy that run, or select the 'Use Ignitions from a Completed' run option in the 'Ignitions' section of the inputs in the Playground for a new run. 

Nicole

1 person likes this

Thank you both for your feedback. Yes, I was hoping to use our own specific ignitions. And I understand why you didn't include it.

If others express an interest, please add my voice to theirs (for future enhancements).

Thanks again for all your hard work!

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment