Start a new topic

Why does a small fuels treatment affect fire behavior across the landscape?

When I compare a treated and untreated landscape, the fire behavior changes across the landscape in a way that I don't think is correct. I can't imagine my 40 acre trail thinning would affect fire behavior miles away on the other side of the valley. Can anyone explain why IFTDSS does this?image

This may be an area-of-interest issue- If the landscape edits were only applied within the area inside that trail thinning polygon, anything outside the poly should be gray, no change. So you're right to second guess it.

If you are running this as part of the Development Treatment Alternatives workflow, I'd recommend having a second look at that editing tab to check that the editing rule was applied to the area of interest. If not, the edit rule gets applied to the whole area be default which would produce an output like what we're seeing here.

I'm only editing within the treatment polygon. See Fuel Model Change below. No other landscape changes (canopy cover, canopy height, etc) outside of treatment polygon. So I don't know what else could be causing the behavior change. Should I submit a ticket?

Thanks, I may have been mistaken... No need to submit a ticket, I'll follow up with other IFTDSS team members to get a better idea of why we're seeing what we're seeing there.

So the rest of the team got me up to speed on this and explained what you are seeing. When Landscape Fire Behavior is run with gridded winds, it will show a difference in fire behavior even in un-edited regions. This is an artifact of the modeling process, and something we need to document in our Help Center. When I did a quick test, and looked at it with the Identify widget and in Layer List, the change seemed fairly small but it was enough to show up in our map symbology (shown in screencapture_map_gridded.png). However the DTA report will still only summarize the data within the AOI that you set, even though there was some change outside of the AOI on the landscape.

This behavior does not occur when running Landscape Fire Behavior in DTA with static winds (screenscapure_map_static.png). If you choose to re-run with that approach, you'll want to delete your previous models generated in DTA for that landscape since otherwise it will pre-populate them and you may have a hard time changing the modeling inputs in the workflow. 

Login or Signup to post a comment