Start a new topic
Answered

Map Studio

I created a polygon in Map Studio of a proposed Rx Burn we have but it will not save as a new Landscape for me, I hit the create button and nothing happens. How long does it take to create a Landscape? 

Best Answer

In regards to creating polygon shaped landscapes, we are still constrained to rectangular extents but over time we have added some helpful features to try to meet this need:

• Creating landscape in Map Studio: In the Landscape Tools widget there is an option to create a rectangular landscape that snaps to the outside boundaries of a shape or shapefile. 
  • Viewing layers in Map Studio: In the Layer List widget, select the "More Options" button to the right of any landscape or model output layer for the option to Apply a Mask to the landscape. The original file will remain unchanged but you may view the layer within a mask. 
  • Generating Summary Reports: When generating summary reports in IFTDSS there is an option to generate the report for a specific area of interest.

Josh

IFTDSS Support Team

Answer

In regards to creating polygon shaped landscapes, we are still constrained to rectangular extents but over time we have added some helpful features to try to meet this need:

• Creating landscape in Map Studio: In the Landscape Tools widget there is an option to create a rectangular landscape that snaps to the outside boundaries of a shape or shapefile. 
  • Viewing layers in Map Studio: In the Layer List widget, select the "More Options" button to the right of any landscape or model output layer for the option to Apply a Mask to the landscape. The original file will remain unchanged but you may view the layer within a mask. 
  • Generating Summary Reports: When generating summary reports in IFTDSS there is an option to generate the report for a specific area of interest.

Josh

IFTDSS Support Team

Thanks, I did create the rectangle landscape, got that part to work, I will try the Landscape Summary Card, thanks.

1 person likes this

Also Tim we can't yet create a landscape based on a polygon.  You can create the polygon and then see it on the landscape and generate a summary report of just the area within the polygon using the Landscape Summary Card and then selecting the polygon as an Area of interest in your dropdown menu.  First you have to create a rectangular landscape that encompasses your proposed Rx Burn area.  I hope this helps.

Hi Tim,

If the issue is saving the polygon we have a one page walk-through on that here:

https://iftdss.firenet.gov/help/pageHelp/content/mapstudio/files/shapefilesaving.htm

But if that process still doesn't work for you, definitely follow up on here and we'll see if its something process related, or if it could be a bug.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment